Gluten Free Bakery
Our Gluten Free Bakery is all about making Organic Sourdough Bread from whole foods, with no added fillers. Our breads are dense, moist and cake-like, without sugar. This makes them easier to digest than most gluten free loaves, while giving you lots of nutrients. All our breads are vegan.
No gluten is allowed in this building, to ensure that our products remain at a level below 10 parts per million (ppm). See our certification certificates for Gluten Free and Organic from Pro-Cert systems below.
We keep this bakery free from the top common allergens: eggs, milk, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, mustard seed family, fish and shell fish.
At home at Little Stream Bakery, we have built a solid reputation for our integrity in many aspects of health and ecology. As a certified organic producer, we are familiar with the location, provenance and inventory of our products. This experience is easily transposed to the production of gluten-free foods. We are a small, low turnover company and our experienced, mature and conscientious staff understands the importance of paying attention to detail. We are 11 full-time employees with an average of 9 years of experience and 5 part-time employees with an average of 6 years of experience. The owner / founder of Little Stream Bakery, Graham Beck maintains a regular presence in production.
The rules we follow to maintain a gluten-free integration:
1) SOURCE OF GLUTEN-FREE PRODUCTS - Little Stream adheres to strict 3rd party, Organic and Gluten-Free certification protocols using documentation, testing and other procedures as required by those certifications, including annual inspections.
2) LEVAINS: Little Stream breads are leavened with sourdough culture, a mix of flour and water allowed to ferment in a controlled way. For gluten free breads this involves mixing a ferment made from rice flour, millet or buckwheat and water. This gives the bread a deeper more complex flavour and makes the bread easier to digest as the starches and bran are partially broken down. Sourdough culture is incorporated into the dough and allowed to rise for 18 plus hours. The rising process releases valuable nutrients. True sourdough breads like Little Stream's have a lower glycemic index than their yeast bread counterparts.
No baker's yeast is allowed on Little Stream premises, because its organisms can compromise the sourdough culture and its nutritional qualities
3) EMPLOYEES: Dedicated Employees Make Consistently Good Bread. Little Stream is a small, low turnover company. The experienced and conscientious staff of 11 full-time and employees, some with over 20 years service, understand the importance of paying attention to detail. As a certified organic producer, Little Stream tracks the origin, provenance and inventory of all ingredients. This experience is easily transposed to the requirements of producing gluten-free breads. Owner/founder Graham Beck works in production as well as administration.
4) MILLING AND STORAGE - Ingredients milled onsite include millet, quinoa, and some rice for the gluten free loaves. The natural stone mills never heat the flour above 42 degrees C. (At 46 C the germ of grain begins to oxidize.) This temperature maintains more nutrients.
5) PRODUCTION- All of Little Stream's gluten-free products as well as milling of rice, millet and quinoa flour are done in a dedicated location in Perth, Ontario, eliminating possible contamination with gluten.